Sea Power - Hail Holy Queen

Thursday, August 11, 2011

VINDICATED - DISMISSED


Im an Outdoorsman and being in the Outdoors is a great part of my life and soul.

In 2010, I was accused of carrying a “switchblade”, and having an unpaid speeding ticket, upon my return from a backpacking/camping trip after having dinner at Maggie’s Pub in Santa Fe Springs.

In July 2010, the traffic ticket was paid and the case on “suspicion of carrying a switchblade” was dismissed by the presiding Superior Court Judge. At that proceeding, the District Attorney (DA) moved to dismiss the case and stated that he had inspected the knife in question and said that it was clearly not a “switchblade” and was instead a legal folded camping knife. The Judge agreed and granted a dismissal stating that “the Whittier Police Department has NO Business redefining State Law on what is a “switchblade” and what’s a legal folded camping knife”. I was Vindicated!

It has been a long tradition in my family to commune in nature. The camping knife is a great part of my outdoors ethos. As an American, I don’t see why I need to change that.

The California Penal Code Section 653k is very clear on what is a “switchblade” and what its not. The code states a ““Switchblade knife” does not include a knife that opens with one had utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade…” The Law is very clear, there is no ambiguity. I just don’t see how the Whittier Police officer could have misinterpreted the law. It makes me wonder.

I have since returned to my hiking, camping, backpacking and the outdoors lifestyle.

However, my political opponents continue to portray me as a “switchblade carrying cholo”. Two have promised to play the dirtiest campaign yet seen in our community.

I can’t stop them and they know thier wrong. That’s politics and I will do what I do best: fight for justice and be resilient.

No comments: