Sea Power - Hail Holy Queen

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Rio Hondo College Library Remains Open During Corona-virus

April 8, 2020-Rio Hondo College Board Meeting: I'm disappointed to say that I am the only board member who believes that the library should be closed to limit coronavirus exposure to students, staff and the public. It is my belief that having students around increases the chance of exposure which those who get infected will carry to their homes making themselves and their families sick that could lead to death.

My neighbor several houses down came knocking at my door two weeks ago to ask me why her son, a Rio student, was going to college everyday to the library while her middle school and high school kids are at home in lock down. She further explained that they have their grandparents living with them in a three bedroom house with eight people. She feared that the son will catch the virus, bring it home and cause the deaths of the elders. I went up to the college, found him and had a talk with him to get him to realize the seriousness of the virus and that he was putting his whole family at risk. He explained that he had to go to the library to study and felt that he was immune.

This pandemic is no fooling. Being out in public is a serious risk. I hope to God I'm wrong. Should an employee (or student) get sick and die, i bet decision makers will say at a funeral of a coronavirus victim from Rio Hondo "well...at least they died while serving students in the library". Not worth it.

No comments: